An Acne Control Guide for the Patient
To get the best control over the acne bacteria, you need to start with a simple understanding of what has caused the problem.
- Acne, or pimple rash, is an inflammatory or non-inflammatory process caused by blockage of the skin’s hair follicles and sebaceous glands.
- Closure of the hair follicle and sebaceous glands is caused by plugs of oil and corneal cells detached from the skin.
- Purulent acne occurs when sebaceous plugs colonize and cause folliculitis, or inflammation of the hair follicles, caused by the anaerobic bacteria Propionibacterium acnes, which are part of the skin’s microflora. An anaerobic bacterium is a bacterium that multiplies in an oxygen-deficient environment. Therefore, oily skin promotes the spread of this bacterium, as it prevents the access of oxygen.
- Measures should be taken to alleviate the condition, such as reducing the secretion of oily skin and keeping the skin clean at all times.
- It should also be understood that bacterial colonies are also transmitted by dispersal. This means that the bacterium is transferred from one area of the skin to another when it is transmitted by something – for example, with a make-up removal swab that is carried all over the face or with a razor when moving from one area to another without disinfecting the razor. For men, we recommend cleaning the shaver with disinfectant; for mild acne after each use, for more severe acne also during the use, when moving from one area to another (for example, from one cheek to another).
- Creams and serums should be packaged with a pump or applicator. It is not recommended to use products that need to be removed from the package with your finger.
- When the applicator encounters skin, the applicator should be disinfected after use. This also applies to make-up applicators.
- Nutrition is also important, dairy products often cause more oil excretion and omitting them can have positive results.
- Reusable towels and bed linen must also be kept clean. Pillowcases should be changed at least once a week.
Guidelines for patients’ skincare by the clinic:
- When cleaning the skin, use only disposable cleaning cloths, which must be changed when moving from one area to another.
- Be sure to wash your face in the morning as well as in the evening. Makeup, oil and other impurities must be thoroughly cleansed from the skin. Soap with a pH of 5.5 is suitable for this purpose. Such soaps are available in stores in a fairly wide selection. The suitable products from the Dermastir product range:
- Foaming Cleanser: https://www.christinasclinic.ee/et/product/dermastir-multienzyme-foaming-cleanser-puhastusvaht/
- Énergie Pellet Cleanser: https://www.christinasclinic.ee/et/product/dermastir-energie-pellet-cleanser/
- If the skin is very oily, we recommend that you also clean the skin during the day using a facial cleansing toner, which is also available in every store.
- The suitable products from the Dermastir product range: Cleanser Multirepair mattifying tonic: https://www.christinasclinic.ee/et/product/dermastir-cleanser-multirepair-matistav-toonik/
- It is strongly recommended that all patients with active acne who wish to undergo a laser procedure or surgery start using Dermastir Tsunami Cleanser 3 times a week in the acne area. It is a cleanser that enriches the skin with oxygen, thus, inhibiting the growth of anaerobic bacteria. If a patient with active acne wishes to undergo facial surgery or laser abrasions (such as acne scar removal), the use of Tsunami before and after the procedure / surgery is mandatory. This is necessary so that the acne problem would not worsen as a result of the operation / procedure.
- Tsunami is available: https://www.christinasclinic.ee/et/product/dermastir-tsunami-sugavpuhastav-geel/
- Moisturizers free of oil and grease should be used to moisturize the skin. Light creams based on hyaluronic acid and oil-free moisturizing sera are suitable for that purpose. The suitable products from the Dermastir product range:
- Nutrient-rich serum: https://www.christinasclinic.ee/et/product/dermastir-dropper-rich-nutrition/
- Recovery serum: https://www.christinasclinic.ee/et/product/dermastir-dropper-repair-corrector/
- Redness reduction serum: https://www.christinasclinic.ee/et/product/dermastir-dropper-punetust-vahendav-seerum/
Attention! This is a healthcare service. Christinas Clinic is licensed by the Health Board, permit L04954 (CBF Medical OÜ). The operations and procedures are performed by healthcare professionals.